Thursday, February 6, 2014

TTT #70: Covers That Give Me Hope For The Future Of Music



It's been a nice week.  Not working has afforded me the opportunity to see, and actually hang out with, people I haven't seen in years, which is nice.  I also got to play some board games with new friends and old this week.  I also, randomly, got asked to join a band.  Things are looking up.  Moving on.

I have recently become aware of a British and Australian radio channel on YouTube, BBC 1 and TripleJTV respectively, they have artists that come on their stations cover songs.

This is a playlist of my favorite across the two channels.  They have tons and you should go subscribe, listen and watch.  Great stuff.

On with it.

TTT # 70 Playlist



Daaaaaaaaamn


Wrecking Ball - James Arthur

James Arthur was the 2012 X-Factor UK winner.  I can understand why they chose him to win because he sings the shit out of this Miley Cyrus song.  No matter your opinion of Ms. Cyrus, this song is amazing.



Speaking of Different Style


Little Lion Man - Chance Waters

Little Lion Man was the first song I ever heard by Mumford & Sons.  It was in the wee hours of the night when it came on as I was falling asleep.  I am thankful for finding Mumford & Sons.  This cover is quite far removed from the original.  There is an original rap instead of the verse.  Very worth it though.  If you are going to cover a song, change it.  These guys perfected that.



Δ


Tessellate - Mumford & Sons

If you haven't heard of the band Δ (Alt-J), two things:

1.  You don't read this blog enough.
2.  You are really doing a disservice to your musical ear holes.

This cover of an amazing Alt-J song by a band you probably know should cure that.  After this listen to Breezeblocks by Alt-J.  You'll thank me.



HupHup


Rhiannon - Sticky Fingers

This classic Fleetwood Mac song is giving an amazing face lift from these Aussie guys.  You wouldn't think this would come out of that group, but it is amazing none the less.



Not Enya


Ready or Not - Rudimental

A head bouncing cover of The Fugees quintessential 90's classic.  I don't even think Wyclef himself could do it as good.



This One Tricked Me


We Can't Stop - Bastille

At first, for obvious reasons, I thought this was going to be an Eminem cover.  It starts off as an interesting mash up.  This is the second Miley Cyrus song on this list.  Completely unintentional.  It shows me that pop music isn't so bad, when executed properly.

Truth.



Just Because


Rhythm of The Night - Elizabeth Rose

Yeah the one by Corona.  It is that song.  You know you love it.  Just turn it up and enjoy it.  I won't tell anyone.



I Am Ready For Friday


Friday On My Mind - The Rubens

It seems that not many people around my age know this song by The Easybeats, which is a shame.  I think these guys did a great job of slowing it down and giving it a groovy little feel.  People need to dive deeper into the British invasion.

I am very ready for Friday, also.  Seriously.


That's it for this week folks, hope you liked it.

KKNY signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment