Thursday, March 14, 2013

TTT #24: The 90's Was A Rough Year



At the request of The Elder (if you don't like it make up your own nickname) I have decided to make a 90's playlist this week.  Now 90's music brings up a lot of different genres to a lot of different people.  As I do not know the songs that defined the 90's for you folks I am going to have to make a list that reminds me of the 90's.

Most 90's music reminds me of when I started learning guitar.  It was 1995, I was 13 years old.  Kurt Cobain was dead but grunge was still going strong...I think.  Either way, these songs remind me of the Era the most.  From my first concert with The Eldest, The Elder and my best friend at the time J.B. to just tinkering with political rage on my guitar,  fist in the air!  Tom Morello is still god.  Anyway so that is the approach I will be taking...

Here we go...

TTT #24 Playlist
Twitter For Spotify Playlist


Gwen Stefani Popped My Concert Cherry


Spiderwebs - No Doubt

That is my Gwen Stefani.  I think she is still really hot now.  But mid 90's punk Gwen will always be the best for me.  I also really like most of the stuff and the strange directions that No Doubt has gone to recently.  Tragic Kingdom though was just a great, great album.  I wanted so hard to be able to hit those harmonics like Tom Dumont when he was just playing chords.  It is still one of my favorite things about the way he plays.



Bill Paxton is The Man


Long Way Down - Goo Goo Dolls

This song will forever remind me of the movie Twister.  Foooood.  Food.  Food.  (That is that scene in the movie, I'm not just hungry.)  It's a great movie.  There are some mistakes and some belief suspension (I'm looking at you survive a F5 Tornado with a leather belt).  But the soundtrack was killer.  And I know you are asking yourself, yes that is Cameron, Truman Capote and the Guy that got blown up in the last season of Lost.



 Mr. Stefani


Everything Zen - Bush

So my first concert was No Doubt, Goo Goo Dolls and Bush.  It was the perfect time to see each band.  It was No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom era.  It was before Goo Goo Dolls started doing strictly love songs in the same open key tuning.  Sixteen Stone was rocking all over the place and Razorblade Suitcase was on the horizon.  I bet I still have that tour shirt somewhere.  It was an absolute great show.  It was raining cats and dogs when we left and we drove all the way home soaking wet.  In a Camaro.  But my sisters were great about it and everyone had an awesome time.  Plus that guy in the top of the picture looks like a young Vince Vaughn. A little...


Flowers In Your Hair


In Bloom - Nirvana

In the mid 90's Nirvana was a "must learn" for any budding guitar player.  Smells Like Teen Spirit is still one of the first 3 songs a new guitarist learns.  That's an impressive achievement.  In case you were wondering what the 3 songs are:

1.  Smoke On The Water - Deep Purple
2.  Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
3.  Iron Man - Black Sabbath

Go ahead.  Ask any guitarist.  If they don't know these 3 they don't know the instrument.  Look at Kurt's face, that is how he feels about everyone learning that song.


Knowledge Is Power


Bulls On Parade - Rage Against The Machine

The perfect blend of rock, rap and politics.  I remember buying this CD on an 8th grade band trip to Dallas.  We stopped at a mall and a bunch of 13 year old wanna be metal heads walked into the CD store (remember those?).  I still remember what each of my friends bought.  I bought Rage's Evil Empire.  J.B. bought Korn's first album and our friend Adam bought the Ozzy album with Perry Mason on it.  So the OBVIOUSLY 13 year old guys walked to the counter and handed the guy the CD's with a Explicit written all over it (Thanks Tipper).  I was first, of course, the guy asked for my ID and asked if I was 18.  I was like "...uhhhh..." then he said "Don't worry about it dude I'm just f***in' with ya...y'all look like y'all can handle it."  I would love to be able to thank that guy for giving me Tom Morello and RATM.


Dave Grohl has Erin's Pants


Monkey Wrench - Foo Fighters

Once Nirvana was over and you found out the drummer was the guitarist and lead singer in another band you immediately thought wtf?  Then you heard this and you were...there is hope.  I will admit I haven't been the biggest fan of The Foo Fighters later stuff, but this album spent a lot of time in my Walkman.


Weirdest Thing On This List


Wynona's Big Brown Beaver - Primus

Another band where I remember exactly when and where I bought the CD.  It was at a record shop in Houston.  I have $20.  The CD new was like $27.99 (remember that shit?)  The guy agreed to sell me the store used copy for $20.  Don't know if he was allowed but there it is.  Tangent:  My dad paid $50 for the TWO DISC set of Queens Hits.  The first time I saw Season 1 of X-Files on DVD it was $99.  So that would be $1,000 for all of the seasons.  64mb Thumb drive used to cost you over $150.  Feel old yet?  Moving on.

Les Claypool writes some waaaaay out there music.  I love it all (well most).  I am very glad that I got into Primus.  They are a crazy out there band.  The video for this song has costumes that make them look like that creepy Duracell Family. Sometimes it's nice just to get some different in your life.


Danelectro Cool Cat


Come As You Are - Nirvana

I remember the Christmas I got my Danelectro Cool Cat.  It is a chorus pedal.  It is the effect that gives the opening riff of this song that watery feel.  I must have played this a million times with that pedal.  I still play it anytime I plug in to a chorus pedal...



Red Knight's going down...down down down...


Hey Man, Nice Shot - Filter

Every year (usually) my friends and I go to the Texas Renaissance Festival.   We see the joust.  Red Knight's going down...down down down inevitably gets chanted.  I love The Cable Guy.  It is one of my favorite comedies hands down.  It seems a lot of people consider it Jim Carrey's worst movie.  I strongly, strongly disagree.  I can watch this movie over and over.  I often do.  If it's on, I'm watching.  It is a wonderful movie to quote.    Ohhhh Biiiilly...



Wine Cooler Gas Giant


Champagne Supernova - Oasis

Remember back in the 90's with the Gallagher brothers got along and Oasis was saying they were the next Beatles?  Crazy times.  This is my favorite track off of What's the Story Morning Glory?.<--that's weird, yet grammatically correct.  I like Wonderwall, I have just taught it to a lot of people and can barely stand to listen to it.  Great song though.  I also like that song that didn't sound anything like Imagine whatsoever.


No Clue


The Freshmen - The Verve Pipe

I never really understood what this song was about when I was younger.  When I got older and started to realize the general theme I got really depressed.  Then I got over because the 90's were cool and I had a Tamagotchi.




That's it for this week's list.  I had some small trips down memory lane and hope you did too.  Let me know what you think aaaand as always leave any suggestions and ideas for playlists in the comments below.  Let me know what you think.

KKNY signing off for yet another week of debauching.

4 comments:

  1. i've left two comments, neither of which is listed here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. I wonder what she said. And the Bush, No Doubt, Goo Goo Dolls concert was, in fact, epic. I need a repeat of that one. The 90's were my decade so this is my new "going for a drive with the windows down and radio UP" playlist. .I'm gonna work on a Tax Season is Ova! playlist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol It should start out with the Hallelujah chorus just to get the ball rolling...

    ReplyDelete