Thursday, January 10, 2013

Thuper Thong Thurthday #15: Covers Down?


Part 2 of our little jaunt into some of my favorite covers.  This week it is mellow stuff.  Really mellow, sometimes the song is strange but we're gonna go with it.

I will also suggest you open Rainymood.com or play this in a separate window while you play the playlist.  It is rain sounds.  Sets the mood.  Brew some tea.  Lay back and listen with your eyes closed...

TTT #15 Playlist
TTT Mega Mix Playlist
Twitter for Spotify Playlist


Down...doooown...



Love Song - 311

I think this is just a good opener.  Gets people listening.  Let's people know what we are in for.  This is mellow at its best.  This is 311 covering The Cure.  Sad, I know...but here we go...




Female Dog



Bitch - Room Eleven


This is a Meredith Brooks cover.  Bet ya didn't think you'd ever read those particular words did ya?  Yeah Room Eleven, a little jazz group, cover Bitch by Meredith Brooks.  I know, I know, I don't understand it either...but it worked out...

Ravi Shankar...really?



Cold Cold Heart - Norah Jones

Hank Williams meets the sultry singing of the newly bobbed, bobs are the hottest haircuts ever, Norah Jones.  She may not be newly bobbed but it's new to me. Cold Cold Heart.  Love...or lack thereof...well...just...*waves hand*


And the last know survivor...



Eye of the Tiger - Kiernan McMullan

I thought about putting the LSU tiger up there just to lampoon the hardcore LSU fans that are in this here state of Louisiana.  I thought better of it though because I bet they wouldn't get the joke.  No LSU.  Just Kiernan McMullan (heh...Sherry, know em?)  and Survivor meeting in acoustic glory...



Who ya gonna Call?



Higher Love - James Vincent McMorrow

I had a very hard time finding a picture I liked for Higher Love.  I'm not sure I even like that picture there.  It's just a high up heart...



Liam Need Not Apply



Wonderwall - Ryan Adams

I think Ryan Adams' version of Wonderwall by Oasis is a fantastic cover.  The way he sings the chorus is haunting and almost creepy.



1 down...3 to go...



The Freshman - Jay Brannan

A little remembered 90's band named Verve Pipe released this little gem originally.  Jay Brannan did a very mellow version that adds a little more weight to the words.  I like the chess kid.  He seems like the epitome of freshman senior fodder.



360?



With or Without You - Keane

I would like to thank my grillfriend Erin for showing me that pic.  I think it is perfect for this version.  Plus she is some who it is impossible to live with and impossible to live without...dilemma...first world problems...oh yeah.  This is Keane covering U2.



Not Leo 



Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley

There isn't much I can say for this song.  It is one of those covers that is more popular, and in my opinion, just better, than the original.  It has more soul and more feeling than Leonard Cohen's version.




Gone Too Soon



Somewhere Over The Rainbow - Eva Cassidy

I think this is the most beautiful version of this song in existence.  Yes, more than the original.  Yes, more than the ukulele Hawaiian guy (his name is Israel 'Bruddah Iz' Kamakawiwo'ole btw).  I just think the fact that Eva Cassidy is no longer with us adds something to this.  Just the simple guitar and her voice, mmmph.  Just does it for me.  Love her...



Big list this week.  I couldn't whittle it down any more than that.  10 it had to be.  Tell me what you thought.  See you guys next week with...well I don't know yet...gimme some suggestions...have a good one =)

KKNY signing off...

3 comments:

  1. i just realized I didn't comment last week. WTH? I know I ran over the comment in my head and hit enter...I assumed it was completed (apparenly by osmosis)..I've clicked on this thing today at least 3 times lookin for my thong thurthday...cuz I'm scoring and I need to tunes to keep my ADD in check. Where are you KKNY??????WHERE.......off to take meds..

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok it's 1pm here and still nothing.....

    And I just went back through last weeks stuff, and I definetely remember this entire comment about the song I'm a bitch...I"m in the twilight zone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I am running late today...It will be up within the hour!!! Of course if you read this it will already be up I bet!

    ReplyDelete