Thursday, September 5, 2013

TTT #48 & 49: Essentials For Those That Hate Classical



After last week's migraine debacle I decided to do a mega playlist this week.  Mainly to make up for lost music time.

This list, obviously, is what I believe to be essential songs for people who can't really get into classical music, or orchestral music in general.  Most of these you will recognize, even if you don't know the name.  I hope you enjoy where this takes us.

Thar be epic facial hair ahead...beware...



TTT #48 & 49 Playlist
Twitter for Spotify Playlist



I Can't Do That Dave


Also Sprach Zarathustra - Richard Strauss

If it's good enough for Kubrick to open an classic Science Fiction movie, it's good enough to start this blog.

Good opener, right?


Shall We Dance?


Habanera From Carmen - Georges Bizet

If I ever see a woman in a fancy red dress, odds are this is playing in my mind.  I feel it is your duty, as a fancy dressed woman, to dance to this song when you are fancied up, but only in red.  For more fancy fancy attire...read on...there's a particularly fancy bit in the middle.



The Buildup


In The Hall Of The Mountain King - Edvard Grieg

...and the award from composer who totally doesn't look like Mark Twain at all goes to...not Edvard Grieg.  Sorry Edvard.  Exit stage left please...



Let's do the CANCAN


Can-Can From Orpheus In The Underworld - Jacques Offenbach


You will notice with most of pictures of the composers in this list that they look like American Presidents from the 19th century.  This one of ole Jack here is him lounging.  Though he looks a little old for it, this is actually his High School prom picture.  He dumped his date 3 minutes before taking this picture because she said she thought that Hip-Hop/Country was a really deep genre and had a lot to offer the world of music.

That's why he is smirking.



HI! HO!


William Tell Overture Finale - Gioachino Rossini

His name is Armie Hammer.  I mean come on, that's just fantastic.




Never Been You Say?


Entry of The Gladiators - Julius Fucik

My girlfriend has never been to the Circus.  Her mom boycotted it on animal cruelty grounds, which I can respect.  I probably would have too, as a kid, if I had known such things took place.  A the naivete of youth.  However, the circus was a hell of a lot of fun to me when I was a kid and I always enjoyed it when my dad would take me.  I also enjoyed the time my mother took me to Disney On Ice.  That was pretty epic too.  I still have the Chip (from Beauty & The Beast) SnoCone cup.  Thanks for being cool Mom & Dad.  This is also in no way meant to portray Erin's mother as "uncool" for not letting her go to the circus.  Erin went to Europe, alone, when she was only 13.  So it's not like she was "super strict mom", just no circuses, circusi, circosa...moving on...



Shit's About To Get Fancy


Eine Kleine Nactmusik - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

The name Wolfgang never ceases to remind of the movie Explorers.  The one about the kids that build a spaceship out of a cart from a Tilt-A-Whirl and meet some aliens.  Ahh the plots of the 80's, so grand.  I still want a foot wide NASA sticker, I need that.



Mmmmmm Yeeeeeeeeesssss...


Minuet - Luigi Boccherini

See that fella there?  He's fancy.  If you want to be fancy and throw a fancy dress party like an adult.  Ya know the kind with real glasses, tiny foods and people quietly chattin in the corners of your penthouse.  The next four songs are meant just for that.  Fancy shit.



Out on The Lawn


Spring - Antonio Vivaldi

Is he about to shred on that violin Paganinni style? Hell no!  This is a fancy dress party that has meandered out on to the lawn.  You have lights about, people are wearing really poofy dresses.  Marie Antoinette type stuff.  Horse Duvor?



A Wedding?


Canon In D - Johann Pachelbel

That awkward looking guy there is the one responsible for hearing this song at every damn wedding you go to.  Oddly enough he is also responsible for most of the "sounds the same" type pop you've heard in your life.  Truly.




Bringing It Back Down


Cello Suite No. 1 - Johann Sebastian Bach

Heh.




Fav


Dance of The Reed Flutes - Pyotr Ilvich Tchaikovsky

He totally looks like someone that did a lot of drugs and wrote really deep, philosophical books in his day.  Yet the music for The Nutcracker and Swan Lake is so light and airy.  Weird.




SneakySneaky


Hungarian Dance No. 5 - Johannes Brahms

I chose this solely because it reminded me of Cronk sneaking in The Emperor's New Groove.  This is just the perfect sneaking music.  Moving slow...then quick...then slow...then quick...



Diamonds Are Forever


Allegretto - Karl Jenkins

I wonder how Captain Kangaroo feels about his music being associated with Diamond commercials.  I wonder how he feels about blood diamonds.  Sierra Leone?



Knock Knock


5th Symphony - Ludwig Van Beethoven

This song is about death knocking on your door and you looking throughout the events of your life.  Brings a new feeling to the song when you listen with that thought.




That's Some Epic Stuff Right There


Intro To 'Carmina Burana' - Carl Orff

Of course the clean shaven one writes the creepiest song on the list.  Never trust men without facial hair.  You could end up in a movie scene where this song is the most apt choice for the events taking place.




Speed!



The Ride Of The Valkyries - Richard Wagner

If you want a reason to speed down the highway, put this song on.  Tell me if you don't start going over the speed limit.  It's almost guaranteed.  You will feel like each car you pass is a persona triumph.

BE the Valkyrie!




Haunting


Toccata & Fugue in D Minor - Johann Sebastian Bach


If you ever get the chance to sit at a pipe organ, play the beginning of this song.  Learn it on the off chance you might, might, sit at a pipe organ.  I did.  It was fantastic.



My Absolute Favorite 'Classical' Song


Adagio For Strings - Samuel Barber

This is the song I want played at my funeral.  I just love this song so much.  It is so very slow.  Put on headphones and get lost in this song.  It's amazing.

So much emotion in so few notes.  Genius.



That's it for this week folks.  Hope this playlist made up for last week!

KKNY signing off...

3 comments:

  1. how come none of my comments ever post. AAAAAAAAAHHHHHH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finalment. I can post. This list is fancy. I need a fancy pair of knickers or poof skirt to sit in the lawn and listen...with my tea and biscuits (cookies for you yanks)...I need powder for my hair and maybe Rayban's like Wolfgang...Wagner, oh Wagner and the Valkyries....yaaaay.....(hand in air like Bugs)!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just want to conduct an invisible orchestra when I listen to this =D

    ReplyDelete