Thursday, March 13, 2014

TTT #75: Traditional World



My nose is running, my head hurts, I may be hungry, but I am not certain, my face itches like crazy and my hands are dry as hell.  I think I may be dying.  So, as my death inches closer and the icy cold hands of the reaper close around my neck, I will be shuffling of this mortal coil to the sounds of music from around the world.



It only seems appropriate, on the eve of my eventual death from Living-in-The-South-and-The-Weather-is-trying-to-kill-me-itis, I leave you with these songs.  I don't know the names of the musicians for most of them, to them I apologize.  It doesn't lessen the beautiful music they have created.  No over abundance of gratitude is necessary for bringing these songs into your life, your patronage is thanks enough.  Of course I don't get paid, so you aren't patrons.  Just...thanks for reading...weep for me upon my demise.




TTT #75 Playlist



Not Frozen


Daniel's Jojk - Jon Henrik Fjellgren

A Colombian born, Swedish adopted Sami reindeer herder.  Yeah.  He sang this on Sweden's Got Talent.  If I am being honest I really just wanted to share this song and made a playlist around it.  Jon Henrik said he that one of the worst things that ever happened to him was his best friend Daniel dying.  He then went to Daniel's cabin and sat on his porch and prayed.  The jojk just came to him and when he sang it he felt better.  He believes the song was a gift from Daniel.

You can definitely feel the lamentation in the melody of this song.  I think it is an absolutely beautiful song.

Bonus Remixed Version



Pffft


The Song of The Four Seasons

I live in Louisiana.  There are two seasons.  Cold and my shoes are melting.  They have no particular time of year, either of these extremes could happen at any moment.



Japan


Tsuki no Shizuku

This is a song on Koto and Shakuhachi.  The shakuhachi is a flute made from the root of the bamboo tree.  The koto is a traditional Japanese string instrument resembling absolutely nothing we have in American folk music so a comparison would be silly.  If we are going to be silly, which we are, I'd have to compare to if someone laid an upright bass on its back, added 20 strings and plucked it. 


It's really nothing like that at all, but we are doing our best.



Unclear


Raah Pahari

I have no idea if Raag Pahari is the name of the song or the style of music.  I am leaning towards style of music but I really have no clue.  I have a couple of friends that speak Hindi, I should ask. 


I am going to be honest I will probably forget.  This song is really nice a soothing though.  Sitar and tablas.  I see how people are able to meditate to stuff like this.



Michael Flatley


McGivney's Favourite & The Bird's Hornpipe - June McCormick & Michael Rooney

I know the artist for this one!  Any time I think of traditional Irish music, which is frequently believe it or not, I picture teenage girls step dancing.  When I was a younger lad I was in a show choir.  Every Christmas we would play the Lighting Ceremony downtown.  There was a troupe of Irish step dancers.  Ornately decorated colorful dresses, excessively curly hair.  I don't understand why the curly hair was always a thing, but there is a big part of my soul that is Irish and loves me some step dancing.

Wanna go to a real party?



Lament


Song of The Burial of Flowers

I don't know what this song is about but dammit  I just love listening to it.  It has that really mellow Chinese Restaurant thing going.  I think I am hungry.




Oi!


Troika

I am dedicating this one to my Moldovan brother from another mother Illya.  Moldova sits right next to Romania where my way back ancestors come from.  I'd like to think in an alternate universe Illya and I are sitting somewhere drinking Vodka dancing to this song, or playing Tetris, whichever is easier.




PAN FLUTES!!!


El Inca - El Condor Pasa

My girlfriend hates pan flutes, with a passion.  Especially when they play unchained melody, it's kind of cute actually.  She gets, like a twitch when she hears it and then storms away with an uggggggh.  She used to work in the mall and the Peruvian guys would always set up outside her store.  She would listen to them play the same songs over and over again. 

Then she moved to The Chuck.  Damned if they didn't set up right outside her store here.  I think that is the universe trying to tell her that she needs to get into Peruvian flute music.  IMO.

Yes, I know that isn't a pan flute in his hands.



End on an Upnote


Diablo Rojo - Rodrigo Y Gabriela

Flamenco is another style of music that absolutely gets me going.  Is this flamenco?  I don't know...

But Gabriela's rasguedos make me hot...



That's it for this week.  I'm off now.  Enjoy me. Literally.


KKNY signing off.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a worldly music sort of person. It just doesn't seem to fit in to my day. BUT, today I was sitting here being crafty when I started I started your playlist. It was perfect for my crafting marathon. Made me feel like I was connecting to the simpler times, when people just made things. Cuz there was no tv, to watch or bookstore to drive to, or internet to tap into and suck the time right out of your perfectly good life. Just make things and listen to flutes and stuff. Quite peaceful...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked it! That's what this playlist is perfect for!

    ReplyDelete