Thursday, October 17, 2013

TTT #55: Broadway Meets Hollywood



I felt a little whimsical this week.  This has been bopping around my brain for a couple weeks.  This week felt like Broadway week.  I decided to go with the movie versions because, well, I don't have access to decent epic Broadway level theater where I live.  I have never even been to a Broadway play.  I want to.  Soooo bad.

My sister lived in New York for a bit, but she left before I could take advantage of her.  My other sister went to see Wicked without me.  Damn, my family sucks sometimes.  All moving and getting gifted tickets without me getting to take advantage of them.  Selfish.

This is as close I may ever get...so we'll start big...


TTT #55 Playlist
Twitter For Spotify Playlist

Les Miserables

I Dreamed A Dream - Anne Hathaway

I have listened to many versions of this song.  Kristin Chenoweth, Idina Menzel & Lea Michelle, Ruthie Henshall even Susan Boyle.  Anne Hathaway's version of this song is the only one that has ever actually moved me to tears.  They were manly, bearded lumberjack type tears, but she still made them show up.

My favorite on this list.  I can listen to it over and over.  When she sings "I had a dream my life would be, so different from this hell I'm living" I almost lose it every time.  I get literal full body chills every time I listen to this song.  Every. Single. Time.   Love it.  First.



Rent #1


Seasons Of Love - Anthony Rapp, Adam Pascal, Rosario Dawson, Jesse L. Martin, Wilson Jermaine Heredia, Idina Menzel, Tracie Thoms & Taye Diggs (whew!)

How do YOU measure a year?  I know they go by a hell of a lot quicker than they used to.  It's interesting that the older I get, the quicker the years seem to pass.  It's unfortunate really.  Anyway, this is by far my second favorite song on this list. While I don't get chills every time I listen to it, I do really love the way the guy from Law & Order belts out his little solo.  Best part.

I know it's Jesse L. Martin by the way, it just makes me laugh to say that guy from Law & Order.



Wicked


Defying Gravity - Lea Michelle & Chris Colfer

This was from Glee.  Don't hold that against it (I think Glee is just a vehicle to sale songs on iTunes), in my opinion this is a great version.  While it isn't as strong as Idina Menzel's original version.  If they were Idina Menzel they wouldn't be on Glee.  Just sayin.



Little Shop Of Horrors


Suddenly Seymour - Rick Moranis & Ellen Greene

Little Shop of Horrors, or as I like to call it Steve Martin deserved to die for being a complete psycho, was probably one of the first musicals I really got into when I was a kid.

Fact you may not know:  The girl's who played Gina & Pam (Tisha Campbell & Tichina Arnold respectively) on Martin in the 90's are in the 50's style girl group in the intro of this movie.



Rent #2


Light My Candle - Rosario Dawson (Mmm) & Adam Pascal

This is my lady's favorite.  I included it because I lerv her.  Plus it's a jamming, albeit sad, song. 

Would YOU light MY candle? eh?



Chicago


We Both Reached For The Gun - Richard Gere & The Cast

I think this is the best jazz song about how a lawyer can spin anything and make the sheep like media believe anything he says.  That Richard Gere is a silver tongued devil. 

I mean, she killed John C. Reilly.  How nice does he seem?  I can't imagine anyone wanting to kill John C. Reilly.  She was a prohibition era Paris Hilton. Except she killed someone instead of made a sex tape.  Maybe that's a bad example...Stupid Roxie.



Grease


You're The One That I Want - John Travolta, Olivia Newton-John & Cast

Who doesn't know the words to this song?  I won't say I know them, but I know more than is probably socially excepted amongst heterosexual males.  But most heterosexual males are idiots, so I can stand not being lumped into that group.  I am heterosexual though.  I know I am making a playlist based on musicals and Broadway plays and theater nerds that are guys are generally gay.  But I'm not. 

Don't stereotype.  It's not nice.  Just because someone is into musical theater doesn't mean they're gay.  That's just ignorant.  Geez...



The Producers


Keep It Gay - Nathan Lane, Matthew Broderick, Gary Beach, Roger Bart & Cast

Shut up.



I had a dream my life would be, so different from this hell I'm living.  *shivers*

KKNY singing off...

No comments:

Post a Comment