Thursday, February 20, 2014

TTT #72: One You Know/One You Don't: Billboard Top 20 Edition



Every once and a while I like to see if I can get people to listen to songs by popular artists that aren't their Top 40 hit.  I have listened to these 4 albums and these are my favorite 2 songs off of these particular albums.  We've got one song that is, at this very moment, chugging along in the Top 20 spots on the Billboard Top 100 chart.   In addition to that I have also included a song from the album that may not be as well know, but deserves just as much attention.

Enjoy, or die.  Seriously.


TTT #72 Playlist
Twitter For Spotify Playlist



Encased in Concrete


OYK: Pompeii - Bastille
OYD: Flaws - Bastille


I still am not completely sure how this song pertains to the fated Roman city that was buried beneath Mt. Vesuvius' angry rant, but I still like it.  Plus if that Lion King-esque choral sequence at the beginning doesn't immediately grab you, you have no soul. 

Once Bastille has to pick a new single I think it will be Flaws.  It just has a really nice groove and it is catchy as hell.  Doodleedoodleedoodleedoodleedoo




A Fatty?  Really?


OYK:  Drunk In Love - Beyonce Feat.  Jay-Z
OYD:  Heaven Beyonce

Now, most everyone I know is listening to this album.  You may or may not "know" the One You Don't.  If you know it already, congrats, you're a hipster, you win life.  If not, I'm glad you came to listen, don't feed the hipsters.  It makes them loiter.

Also, I am still amazed that women, well some women, have accepted that a new slang term for their posterior is their "fatty".  I honestly would never have thought a woman would willingly describe a part of her body as a "fatty".  Are we evolving or devolving?


Surf bort.  Surf bort.  Surf bort.  Grainin on dat wouht...Granin, grainin on dat wouht




*Pulls out soapbox*



OYK:  Say Something - A Great Big World Feat.  Christina Aguilera

OYD:  Rockstar - A Great Big World


*clears throat*  Christina Aguilera doesn't belong in this song.  At all.  She was added to it for marketing purposes.  She was added as a back up singer, X-Tina, a backup singer, as an afterthought to this already beautiful song.  I think the song stood just fine on its own.  I understand that she liked the song and wanted to help.  Still doesn't need to be on the recording.  All she did was essentially celebrity endorse this song. 

It wouldn't be in the Top 40 without her name there.   I think this is a fantastic song and it deserves that spot on the chart AND all the attention & air play it has been getting.  I just think it is sad that we can't appreciate this song for how great it actually is without injecting a pop star into it so it will sell better.  I have nothing against Christina Aguilera, I like some of her music for sure, I have nothing against pure pop music.  However, you don't call Christina Aguilera, one of the most powerful diva-level voices of our generation, to do back up on a song like this.  For that it completely irritates me.

 *steps off soapbox*

Rockstar is proof that they are a great group without needed endorsement deals.




DRAGONS!!!!




OYK:  Demons - Imagine Dragons
OYD:  Round & Round - Imagine Dragons



I think Imagine Dragons is a bad that is extremely consistent across all of its song writing.  All of their songs are equally lyrically beautiful, musically melodic and relateable.  I don't think there is an Imagine Dragons song that I have heard that I don't get mildly, unhealthily, obsessed with for a little while. 

Great band. 



That's it for this week folks.  Leave me comments.  Makes me feel good about myself. 

Now.


KKNY signing off...for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment