Thursday, July 4, 2013

TTT #40: Mellow Men With Beards!


Happy Independence Day America!!!  Happy 4th of July rest of the world!!! 

This week I was thinking since it is America's birthday AND my 40th Thuper Thong Thurthday ANDAND I have a beard, I would do a playlist featuring only men with beards!

Great idea, I know.  I believe that when it comes to mellow acoustic music a beard is a definite must.  As George Carlin once said "The beard acts as a mute for soft passages..."  I doubt this is what he was talking about, but the statement stands.  

You will also notice that as the list progresses, the beards get longer and fuller.  I planned it this way.  I know, I know, I should have done metal bands as there are all sorts of great beards there.  Kerry King, Dimebag Darrell, I could have even included ZZ Top.  But this is mellow men with beards.  So deal.  

On with it...





I Wanna Go On A Trip


As you can see here we have a good starter beard.  It's covering but still thin.  Well groomed.  The perfect beard for a light folk song about your girlfriend leaving you and moving across the country.  The heart yearning.  The beard betrayal.  Why'd she go?  Why?




Big Finish!



As you can see this beard, as the one before, is a good starter beard.  This one, however, seemed to me a little more covering, or at least darker, so I made him number two.  I guess you might say number seven as this is more of a countdown.  So he has the 7th best beard on the list.   

I think I'm...never mind...moving on...




Dallas Green.  A City.  A Color.



As you can see we are getting a little fuller.  Thicker.  We like thicker.  Still kempt, but thicker.  If you haven't listened to City & Colour; two things are true.  One, you haven't been listening to my blog.  Two, you hate music.  He has a sweet high voice that will lull you into a sense of belonging and sorrow.  It's everything music should be...




*mumblemumblemumble*



Little thicker.  Little less kempt.  Mustache is catching up to the beard.   This fella here, every time I see him he reminds me of a guy my dad used to work with named Bill Brown.  I was fairly young the last time I saw Mr. Bill (heh) so I don't recall exactly what he looked like.  In my mind though, this is his exact twin.   As for the guy in the picture, you may have to listen to him sing a couple of times before you can start to understand what he is saying.  There is a lilting laziness to his voice, and I mean that in a very good way.  It makes you listen closer.  It has a superb softness to it.  It's his beard.  It's taking all credit...



IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!



Thicker.  Venturing into unkempt territory.    The mustache is a little less full, but this isn't a mustache playlist, so back off...   I have always said that it would be amazing to buy a van, or a small RV, and just vagabond my way across the country.  I think I could really get behind that.  I need someone to do this with me.  I may just up and leave one day.  Chris McCandless style...

If you don't hear from me for a while...you know where I'll be...




It's Erin's Fault



Unkempt thing of beauty.  I believe Andy Hull, the lead singer of MO, has since shaved this off but who cares.  He shouldn't have.  Also, he is the lead singer of Manchester Orchestra, not Missouri.  I felt that needed to be pointed out.  I realized that going through all of this explanation defeats the purpose of abbreviating it in the first place, but I don't like hitting the backspace.  Backspace is for losers.  Kids, don't backspace.

I wasn't really into Manchester Orchestra when i first heard them.  I was like ehhh.  Then my lovely lady made me go see them live.  Seeing them live will definitely make them grow on you.  Amazing show.  You should catch them if you can.  Live.  I mean, you should go see them not literally capture them live.  Like, don't hold them captive, just see them play.  Ya dig?

I feel like I've lost control here somewhere...




Beatle Beard



Epic status.  That is what a Beatle beard is.  Not to be confused with Beetle The Bard.    

John Lennon looks so sad in that picture.  It fits perfectly with this song.  Such a sad song.  Just a guy who thought people would be better if they just agreed and got along.  Crazy right?  Dreamer...

This was the first CD I ever owned.  I was such a cool kid.



Bougainvillea 



The way a beard should be.    Long.  Full.  Thick.  Probably has some shit in it.  Not actual shit...just like stuff...well...never mind...

Only Sam Beam could put Bougainvillea blooms in a song and make it work.  The man is a genius.  You should listen to more Iron & Wine if you don't already.  Less talk...more Passing Afternoon.

I also want to comment on the modest piano solo in this song.  Just perfect for the song.  Nothing fancy but fits perfectly.  True genius is not technical skill and speed it's putting what needs to be there, there, and what doesn't, nowhere.




So a bunch of people at work have been asking me if I am related to the Duck Dynasty CEO Willie Robertson.  What do you think?


My Doppelganger?  I bet he could fit way more than 2 boxes of crayons in his beard.  I am shamed...


KKNY signing off...

No comments:

Post a Comment