Thursday, July 25, 2013

TTT #43: Covers!



This week I have decided to do another playlist of covers.  These are some of the newer covers I have in my library.  I decided I would share them with you folks.  It's a rainy day out today, and as usual, I like to listen to slow music on a rainy day.  Don't worry though, I end it with a bang...


On with it...


TTT #43 Playlist
Twitter for Spotify Playlist



No Scrubs...No 'Bustas'


No Angels - Bastille & Ella

These one is sort of a remix-y kind of thing.  It is essentially a cover of No Scrubs by TLC.  With a little bit of Angels by XX.  He's got some wicked hair, so it has to be awesome right?





SHE'S LYING!!!!


Billie Jean - The Civil Wars

If you haven't heard of these guys yet, you are welcome.  They named themselves after the bloodiest battle in American history.  More Americans lost their lives in The Civil War than any other war.  That would stand to reason as we were the only country fighting in The Civil War, hence the civil part.  They could have just made up the name, but that seems highly unlikely.



BINGBANGBOOM


Live And Let Die - Duffy

She can get it.  She's got that 60's mod thing going.  I can dig that.  I like the 60's.  I like the Mary Tyler Moore circa 1962 look.  It works.  Plus this is just a really good cover.  It doesn't have "the riff" but it still works in the end, for me at least.



Erin No Likey


Sweet Child O Mine - Taken By Trees

Another artist you should like more if you don't already.  This is a nice cover.  It might have to grow on you a little bit.  I'm not sure how I feel about the main riff being played on a piano but other than that I can really get behind what she has done here.  You go girl.


*snaps*


Highway Rum


Faithfully - Clem Snide

Clem here actually did a 6 or 7 song LP of Journey covers.  This will be some people's cup o tea and other, not so much.  Hardcore Journey fans, probably not.  I like it.  That's why it's here.  I am the most important person typing right now, so as I am my current audience, I only have to please myself.  That doesn't sound right...ah well...



Yes.


Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow - Roberta Flack

This is just a beautiful version of this Shirelles hit.  I may even like this more than the original.  That is saying something.  I rarely like things more than the original.  Especially songs from the 60's.  I usually hate people messing with my 60's.  Don't do it.  Don't think about doing it.  70's.  OK that's fine.  50's?  Sure.  Stay your ass out of the 60's.  I mean it.



Say Uncle!


Headlock - Lennon & Maisy

These girls.  These girls right here.  12 and 8.  At least at the time of this recording.  Does that make anyone else feel like they messed up somewhere?  Geez.  Such a good song.  Such a great cover.  These 2 were a random YouTube find, or maybe CouchSeats.com.  Not really sure at this point.  All I know is that those two girls have a future because their harmonies are flawless.  I just love them.



Imogen Heap again...


Hide & Seek - Antoine Dufour

If you don't know the song Hide & Seek by Imogen Heap (it's great) pause this list.  Go listen to that song a few times.  Done?  Ok.  Now hit play and listen to this man flawlessly recreate that song on acoustic guitar.  His harmonics are just so pure and perfect.  I wish I could play half as good as this guy.  So beautiful.  The expression...



Bringing It Back Up!


Rock El Casbah - Rachid Taha

Apparently, boogeyman in Algerian is boogeyman.  Who knew?




I hope you enjoyed this week's list.  Let me know what you think.

Shariff don't like it...

That would be the perfect thing for you to comment with Sherry...

KKNY signing off...

3 comments:

  1. Am I the Shariff that don't like it in this scenario? Cuz I like it...

    Didn't expect to like the Journey re-do, but I did. And the Hide & Seek was awesome, but those two little girls. I was listening to the playlist whilest I worked and I was flipped back over to see who was singing cuz I was diggin it; and saw that it was the 12 & 9 year olds. Holy Canoli! As Tony the Tiger would say...They're Great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. FINALLY.....I am back on...yay...my account was deleted, then I couldn't recover, too many passwords floating around my coconut, couldn't find the correct one, apparently. ANYway....I am, now, listening to the first song, and I'm in love with it. I've heard of the little girls before,not there yet though...The pic of Mr. Rachid Taha is appealing ( I like em scruffy) He also, I will say, looks like a gypsy. Just throwing it out there......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Shariff-uh...Yeah those little girls are amazing. As for the Rachid, he is Algerian I believe...so who knows?

    ReplyDelete