Thursday, May 16, 2013

TTT #33: Epic 80's Power Ballads That Start With Piano


This week I have decided to do a super specific list.  It will be a trip back to the 80's (Sorry, Eldest).  We will witness fashion and hair colliding in super power ballads...that start with piano...from the 80's. 

This.  Will.  Be.  Great.


TTT #33 Playlist
Twitter For Spotify Playlist


What Does Your Heart Say




Listen To Your Heart - Roxette

Ahh the 80's.  I am not even sure how he gets his hair to do that.  Of course, it's probably AquaNet.  I think that was the go to hairspray my sisters used.  That and L.A. Looks.  It really is amazing to me, I was still pretty young in the 80's, that the hair got as high as it did...



Turn Around Bright Eyes...


Total Eclipse Of The Heart - Bonnie Tyler

Fringe.  Leather fringe no less, with shoulder pads.  There are so many 80's cliches in that picture right there I almost don't even know what to say.  I remember my middle sister, the Elder, had a pair of white leather boots with fringe, if I'm not mistaken.  That's pretty sassy right there...


All Byyyy Myself...


Alone - Heart

There were a lot of style choices these guys could have made.  That is what they ended up with.  The guy all the way to the right looks like a Vegas magician.  The guy next to him looks like David Bowie in the Labyrinth.  Again, we see at least 6 inches of poof in some places.  Proving, once again, that gravity was not as strong in the 80's.



Mullet


She's Like The Wind - Patrick Swayze

Dirty Dancing is one of my significant other's favorite movies.  She was very sad when Mr. Swayze died.  She now refers to him as Angel Swayze.  That picture there best represents what I believe to be Patrick Swayze at his most angelic.  The 80's mullet.  The white background, a cloud if you will.  White shirt, heavenly vestments you say?  Angel.  Swayze.


Wagons of Speed


Keep On Loving You - REO Speedwagon

These guys are a little more 70's because when this song came out the 80's weren't really in full swing yet.  You can see that their hair was working it's way up but we hadn't quite reached the heights of the late 80's.  We are getting there...


She played it all the time


Home Sweet Home - Motley Crue

I am not even going to comment on that picture.  I will, however, talk about my sister.  My sister, The Elder, has always wanted to play piano.  She has dabbled in piano for a while and for as long as I can remember one thing she could always play was Home Sweet Home.  She has taught to me, in vain, many, many times and I still can't remember it.  She can still pull it out, so in the event the Crue needs someone to jam this song...give her a call...



Wait For Me...


Right Here Waiting - Richard Marx

Richard Marx looks almost bored being Richard Marx.  He was pretty famous in the 80's and I don't understand why he looks so sullen.  Of course, He is  waiting for his lost love.  Perk up Richard Marx, you have some of the highest hair on this whole list...



With Arms Wide Open


Open Arms - Journey

This was early 80's.  So again, not the height of Sullen Marx up there, BUT still pretty early 80's nonetheless.  Layers.  They were either all about layers or accepted no layers what so ever.  Steve Perry.



THE 80's Power Ballad


Don't Stop Believing - Journey

This is, by far, THE top 80's power ballad song.  I don't even think you can be American without knowing all of the words to it.  I went to see Blink 182 with my lady.  Fall Out Boy opened for them.  Fall Out Boy represents the early aughts "pop-punk" movement.  THEY ended their show with Don't Stop Believing and the crowd sang along like it was an arena show in 1985 and they were worried about how the sweating would affect their hair and makeup.

This song transcends all genres and cultures.

Steve Perry > Journey



That's it for this week folks.  I hope you had fun jamming out and singing along to the power ballads.  Let me know what you think, comments, negative, positive, constructive and diminutive are always welcome.

KKNY Shuffling off this mortal coil...

4 comments:

  1. I have been so busy I didn't get to listen to this list til today. All I can say is wow. The hair, the shoulder pads, the dudes in more makeup than I wore on prom night in 1988...it boggles the mind. I believe Sherry had the "Bon Jovi" jacket, acid washed denim with shoulder pads and brown leather fringe WITH his hair at that time....if only we could find a picture.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I DID have the jacket! Got it at Chess King. It feels like such a sad story...I was watching the Today Show this morning and they were re-opening the Jersey Shore and talking about Asbury Park and I wondered...where the hell is Jon Bon Jovi?? He and The Boss should be here for this...
    Long live the Late 80's/Early 90's!! It flows...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did I mention how fantastic it was to see Bowie dancing with the puppets??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watched a video of Bon Jovi live from 2011. I am afraid he might be losing his voice. He is possibly incapable of singing that way anymore =\

    ReplyDelete