Thursday, May 23, 2013

TTT #34: Forgotten Songs of the 90's



This week I has been kind of a getting back in the swing of things kind of week for me.  So this blog may go off the rails a little bit.  I'll try and be brief.

Sometimes when you hear a song you go "Oh my god!  I forgot all about that song!!!"  Then you proceed to sing it word by word as if you were listening to it yesterday.  This week's playlist is dedicated to that feeling.  Since my formative years were in the mid to late 90's.  That's where we will be heading.  Deal? Deal.


TTT #34 Playlist
Twitter for Spotify Playlist



A Seriously Long Title & B.B. King


Standing Outside A Broken Phone Booth With Money In My Hand - Primitive Radio Gods


Wow.  I may be more tired than I realized because that took a lot longer to write out than I feel it should.   I really like this song.  The B.B. King sample.  It's mellow vibe.  I don't think I have ever heard another song by these guys.  The sad thing about a lot of bands in the 90's is they would release an album with a radio single and the rest of the music would be absolutely nothing like the popular song.   So you were left with a CD of mediocre music and one song you liked.  This led to iTunes and people not buying the deeper cuts.  It really is a sad cycle...

I'm not saying that's what these guys did...but this is the only song I have ever heard...



I Am Not A Beautfiul Freak


Novocaine For The Soul - The Eels

I can't explain why, but I always felt this guy looked like he had a lisp.  Great song either way...



A Girl Like Me?


A Girl Like You - Edwyn Collins

When I hear this song the first thing I think of is Rex Manning Day and Navy Blue underwear...




Jean Luc Picard


Banditos - The Refreshments

I'm not going to lie.  The reason I first liked this song was because he got into Mexico using a fake ID that said he was Jean Luc Picard of The United Federation of Planets.  That is just great.  Plus it's a heist.  Who doesn't love a heist?  It's also a damn fun song to play on guitar.

These guys also did the theme song to King of the Hill.  I like this much better.  And Girly.



Call back to Liv Tyler in Empire Records


In The Mean Time - Spacehog

Royston Langdon is the bass player for Spacehog.
He was married to Liv Tyler.
Who was in Super with Kevin Bacon.

BOOM! Bacon Number 2...



Sexy? Deadly...


Angry Johnny - Poe

Ya know I used to think that girl was extremely hot.  Now?  Eh.  I think now that I have more years under the belt I understand the true crazy that emanates off this song.  Now she is not sexy.  She's scary.  At a bare listen you  might think the song is kind of kinky and yeeeeeeeah.  No.  It's not.  She's going to kill him will various implements and items.  Run Johnny.  She's mad.  Real mad.  Like, calm mad.

Run.  Now.



Ahh 1 2...1 2...1 2


Six Underground - The Sneaker Pimps

I also though this girl was excessively nice looking when I was younger.  I realize that I was 14 in 1996.  That could explain for the large number of women I found attractive from the mid 90's.  This one I still find hot.  At least in that pic.  I also like the guy in the upper right, but only for comedic 90's purposes.



Clothed Eye


Naked Eye - Luscious Jackson

I think of Luscious Jackson as one of those girl empowering type bands from the 90's.  Not really like Spice Girls girl power.  More like Liz Phair.  Ya know?  Either way.  Found them all attractive.  I think I may have had too much testosterone as a youth...



Curveball


The Way - Fastball

Wheeeeere were they going without ever knowing the WAY...

Always have to accentuate the Way.  The WAY....




Challenge What The Future Holds


You Gotta Be - Des'ree

There is a lot of good advice in this song.  I was going to say you should always trust someone with an apostrophe in their name.  This would have been bad advice.  Don't do that.  Trust Des'ree.  Apostrophe's do not a good person make...




That's all for my trip back to high school and late night teenage lust.  Sorry.  I hope you liked this weeks' list.  It is going to be hard to top last week.  We had over 4,500 plays in just 7 days.  Let's see if this one will surpass that.  KKNY signing off until next week...

2 comments:

  1. I have never watched Empire Records. Is that weird? I'll have to fix that.

    ReplyDelete