Thursday, May 2, 2013

TTT #31: New Oldies



Sorry for the late posting today.  I just had a 13 hour work day and I just finished compiling this list.  I may be a little incoherent today, so forgive me. 

This week's playlist are artists that I feel are channeling some old soul.  Some new stuff, some older, but all great, in my opinion.  I thing it is great whenever you have young artist carrying the roots of the older generation.  A large number of people today don't realize where the music they like comes from.  Without musicians that have paved the way we would still be listening to chamber music (which I love).   I think these songs channel a particular SOMETHING and bring out that old soul feelings in me.  Let's jam.


Thuper Thong Thurthday Playlist #31 Playlist
Twitter For Spotify Playlist



Gregorian Chant This Is Not


Black Sheep - Gin Wigmore

When I hear this song, I can't help but think of my lady.  See she considers herself the black sheep of her family.  She is a little "alternative" but alternative to what I don't really know.  She is just my Beebs.  She's not a bad woman to keep, but she does have a pistol for a mouth.  I'm also pretty sure her Mom gave her that...



GossipGossipGossip


Rumor Has It - Adele

Adele is one sexy mofo.  Look at that.  I realize that I just spent the last song saying how much I love my lady, which I do.  Really, I do.  Adele though.  Oof.  Those pipes.  All that hair, I know it's fake, I don't care.  Mostly though I think I love the fact that she has a potty mouth.  British accent + Potty Mouth = Best Thing Ever.



Come On Brittany!


Hold On - Alabama Shakes

Ya know Erin,  my aforementioned Lady, has told me that Brittany Howard looks like someone she should hang out with.  I think that is a great compliment.  If people tell you, and others, that you are fun to be around and hang out with, there is no better adulation.   That looks like a band of people that I could be friends with.  That guy with the beard definitely plays Dungeons & Dragons and we need to hang out.

I wonder if I should start wearing a hat...hmmm...


Warwick Davis Avenue Needs To Be A Thing


Warwick Avenue - Duffy

I really like how mellow this song is.  It picks up a little, but not too much.  I used to have this song as a ringtone on my old flip phone (remember those?!).  I am only just now able to listen to it.  It used to be one of those songs that I would hear and my eye would twitch because it would remind me of waking up.  Had to turn it off.

Oddly enough the same is true of Higher Ground by The Red Hot Chili Peppers.  Great song.  Great cover.  Used it for an alarm for a summer to get up at 8 AM.  It got to where I was so tired of hearing that bass intro I could hear the CD queuing up and I would jump out of bed to turn it off before it started.  I guess that's my punishment for not being able to wake up with a normal person alarm clock.  Ah well...



Not IN but TO you see...


Back To Black - Amy Winehouse

I chose that picture of Amy because she looks so beautiful in it.  That was before she got into drugs, and fame.  She was actually a pretty lady.  No bouffant.  No cocaine.  No crazy paparazzi chasing after her.   No drama.  Just a lady who didn't realize what she was in for when her dreams became a reality.  Not saying she was a saint.  I never knew the woman.  It was sad what happened.  I had high hopes for her.

Guess you gotta be careful what you wish for...



Til now...


Skyfall - Adele

Here is where I could talk about Adele again.  Unnecessary.  I could talk about the umpteen Bond movies and their Title songs and the history that Adele got to take part in.  Pointless.  You  know all of these things.

I will, however, tell you what comes to my mind every single time I heard the intro to Skyfall.  I hear Alone by Heart.  Every.  Single.  Time.  Even though I know it won't I FEEL like she is going to start singing "I hear the ticking of the clock..."  I know the piano in that song is faster.  I KNOW she isn't gonna sing it, but I feel like it MIGHT happen.  Every damn time.

She would belt that shit out if she did.  She'd make Nancy Wilson proud.  Also I originally typed Nancy Grace.  Damn fingers do whatever they want sometimes.  I don't know why they want Nancy Grace, but that shit needs to stop.



Eeeeeeevvvviiiiiiillll




Devil In Me - Gin Wigmore

Another Gin Wigmore song?  Yes.  Why?  Because it's my blog and I do what I want.  If you don't want another Gin Wigmore song, start a music blog, make a playlist and leave her ass out.  Then send me the link because I like new music.  =D

Even from people bitching (even hypothetically) about mine.



Is it bad...

  


that I almost wish I could break up with Erin so that I could play this song in earnest?  I wouldn't.  It would just have more meaning if I did.  Then my next girl wouldn't be like my ex girl with the beautiful face.  Ah well.  Guess I'll just stay with her so I can't wallow in my own self pity...

I also am not sure if I am supposed to like the music video or not.  I don't know if it's a joke or for real.  If it's real, should I actually do as the band wishes and turn it off, even though is hilarious.  What if the record company really wanted that to be the video??  I wouldn't be surprised...

Yay Beebs!



Well that's it for this week folks.  I am extra tired right now.  I think I might go take a 20 minute nap before the lady rolls in.  Lady.

Thanks for listening.  Leave comments.  KKNY signing off.


2 comments:

  1. Did you notice that all of these have chick singers except for the Black Keys? And even then, that was a song about chicks. Intentional?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not. I guess I just like the ladies...

    ReplyDelete