Wednesday, September 26, 2012

To be or not to be........Amish







This weekend we went to Lancaster, PA. It's Amish country. I don't know if I've mentioned this but the sky here is more vibrant, the air is crisper, the clouds seem closer. I don't know if it's atmospheric or my perception, but things just seem sharper here. It's hard to describe. So...the Amish. It was sunday, so not much was open. We were able to see a few horse drawn carts but most of the shops were closed. We are planning another trip. We did happen upon a quilt shop. They had some beautiful quilts upwards of $600 (cheapest one I saw) on up to $2000. You couldn't take pictures of any of them, because they were original designs, and they had white gloves for you to put on at the front door so you don't get things dirty.....totally out of my comfort zone. Sherry, you would've loved it. They also had these little boxes, hand made by a lil old amish lady (according to store owner) that we picked up. John loved them.

Pennsylvania is gorgeous. Mostly the people in New Jersey live in PA and commute. Homes/Taxes are cheaper over there, and it's beautiful from what I've seen.


The cow migration of 2012.....'...that's right Ray, no normal cow could migrate that way......'



golf course in Easton, PA. It was very pretty.

Oktoberfest is going on over here. I'm hoping to head into the city to experience all things German in the next couple of weeks. Sausages, lederhosen, polka, and steins of beer, can't go wrong there. I told John I'd pay him a couple of hundred dollars to see him in lederhosen during the festivities.....



  It's getting colder here now, they say in a couple of weeks we will have to put away the shorts and short sleeved clothes for about 4-5 months.....WHAAAT?!?!?....I'm in need of winter clothing I think. Apparently, winter lasts a long time in these parts. What kind of shoes am I supposed to be wearing around here. I'm woefully unprepared I think....thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. I'd pay big money to see John in lederhosen. I feel like if you worked hard enough at Oktoberfest that you could make that happen! And I wish you could have taken pictures of the quilts. I thought about the Amish quilts as we were rolling through Pennsylvania. No sewing machine ya know! It's all hand quilting so $600 is a bargain for a hand sewn quilt! I wanna do that tour on my next trip...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Winter? I know not this word. Winter is a lie. I bet it's gonna be a whole helluva lot colder than you realize. That I would bet money on. But think of the snow *jealous*

    PA definitely looks amazing. You are living the high life up there in New England. You REALLY need to post that pic of John in Oktober-garb if you get him to do it.

    Nice Ghostbusters quote btw made me chuckle =)

    ReplyDelete